Broccoli has always been one of my sons’ favorite vegetables. It’s beautiful, easy to prepare, delicious to eat, and full of health benefits. I serve broccoli regularly in our home, so when I saw the title of this recipe, it got my attention!
Seriously, The Best Broccoli of Your Life
recipe from Errin’s Kitchen
- 4 pounds broccoli
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and thinly sliced
- Good olive oil (or for Keto – butter flavor coconut oil)
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut the broccoli florets from the thick stalks, leaving an inch or two of stalk attached to the florets, discarding the rest of the stalks. Cut the larger pieces through the base of the head with a small knife, pulling the florets apart. You should have about 8 cups of florets.
- Place the broccoli florets on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss the garlic on the broccoli and drizzle with 5 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.
- Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice, and Parmesan. Serve hot.
Cook”s Note: For more texture, try mixing the cheese with breadcrumbs and a little olive oil and sprinkle it on top before roasting. Cauliflower can be substituted or try a mix of broccoli and cauliflower.
Tips for Perfect Roasted Broccoli:
- Don’t skimp on the oil (even if it seems like a lot), season well, and make sure your oven is hot before adding the broccoli.
- After washing your broccoli, be sure to dry it thoroughly. The drier it is, the crisper it will be.
- If you want even crisper broccoli, try flipping it halfway through the roasting. It’s a time-consuming task, but it crisps on all sides.