adoptable cats and dogs
Adopt online: http://adoptarpo.org/
Meet the Alliance for Responsible Pet Ownership
Our friends at ARPO visit the Market on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month, and sometimes more often. Their available-for-adoption dogs and cats are a popular attraction for many Market-goers. But do you know about their mission?
Each day 70,000 puppies and kittens are born in the U.S. As long as these birth rates exist, there will never be enough homes for all the animals. As a result, every year, 4-6 million animals are euthanized because there are no homes for them. (statistics are from the American Humane Society)
- To encourage and assist existing and future pet owners in providing a good quality life for their pets
- To temporarily shelter stray, abandoned, neglected, abused and surrendered cats and dogs in a clean, comfortable, and safe environment while providing the best quality of life and medical care possible
- To facilitate the adoption of these companion animals into stable, loving homes
To promote pet ownership as a lifetime commitment
- To cooperate with other animal-related organizations for the purpose of reducing the population of unwanted cats and dogs through adoption, spay/neuter and educational programs
- To further educate the public regarding the important benefits of the human/companion animal bond
- To promote respect for creatures of all species
Sheldon is one of ARPO’s success stories.
“We adopted Sheldon about a year ago when he was about 10 weeks old. He adjusted to his new home very quickly and to his new pal, Lamont (our Lab Mix). Sheldon is so smart and is always ready to play. He enjoys our big back yard where he is on constant watch for anyone that might join in on his fun. Sheldon had a big adjustment when we brought home our new baby girl, Emma. Sheldon is so quick to come check on her when she cries and sits near her when she is sleeping. Thank you to ARPO for connecting us with such a great friend!” — Matt, Meghan and Emma
Companion animals adopted from ARPO come with the following:
- All animals are vet checked for healthiness
- All animals will be up-to-date on age-appropriate vaccinations
- All animals will be micro-chipped for their safety
- All animals will be spayed or neutered prior to placement
For more complete information on sponsors, donations, adoptions, and animal intake, see the ARPO website here.