NOTE: Effective October 3, our hours are 9am to noon, and these guidelines have been updated to reflect the changes.
Our Farmers Market protocols been developed with input from the Marion County Health Department, Farmers Market Coalition, and Purdue Extension. Keep in mind that the goals of the COVID-19 Restrictions are to:
- Maintain social distance between customers and vendors & volunteers at the Market.
- Minimize time spent at the market by customers to lessen any potential exposure.
- Minimize customer interactions with food products and with money/credit cards.
COVID-19 Safety Protocols
- IF YOU ARE ILL OR HAVE SYMPTOMS — STAY HOME!
- PRE-ORDERS AND PRE-PAY: To minimize wait times for all customers, pre-paid pre-orders are highly encouraged. A vendor list with ordering information and links to the vendor sites is available on our website and linked to the newsletter each week for your shopping convenience.
- PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT: All vendors, their staff and Market volunteers wear face masks or face shields. Masks are now required to be worn between 9 am and 10 am. We strongly recommend everyone attending the Market wear a face mask at all times at the Market. (See links below for making your own.)
- SAFETY HOUR 9-10 AM: The first hour of the market from 9-10 am is considered a Safety Hour and we recommend those over 65 and immuno-compromised customers shop during this time. A mask is required for entry and anyone wearing a mask will be admitted. No customers should arrive before 9 am which would interfere with safe setup of the Market.
- DOGS: Starting September 12, dogs will be allowed at the Market between the hours of 10 am and noon. Read more here.
- CUSTOMER LIMITS: The number of persons allowed into the Market at one time will be limited for safe social distancing. Families are encouraged to send only 1-2 family members to the market.
- SOCIAL DISTANCING: Customers are required to maintain 6 ft. social distancing at all times. Only one customer per vendor booth at a time. And please exit the Market after completing your purchases (don’t linger).
- ENTRANCE/EXIT TO THE MARKET: The entrance and exit to the market is on the north side of the market. We have one parking area to the north of the Market area. Handicapped parking is to the east side of the parking lot near the entrance. Parking is also available across Rural Street in the Landmark Theater parking lot and there is a crosswalk to the Market. Please do not park at Lowe’s.
- MARKET LAYOUT: The Market will be laid out with vendors on three sides, with the sides longer than the back. Safety cones and tape will be used to create a “fence” across the north end of the market and the drive in from the south entrance to the parking lot. Vendor booths will be spaced 10 ft. apart.
- SHOPPING & WAITING IN LINE: Green circles have been painted on the pavement to indicate where customers should stand when being helped by a vendor AND to indicate where to stand while waiting to make a purchase.
- MOVING AROUND THE MARKET: In most cases, shoppers can easily walk around one or two customers. For vendors whose lines are long, a walkway to pass between customers in line is indicated by double blue arrows labeled “WALKWAY”. Be sure not to walk through a vendor line unless there is a designated WALKWAY.
- HAND WASHING/SANITIZING: A hand washing station is located in the middle of the market. Hand sanitizer is available at all vendor booths.
- FOOD HANDLING: To reduce handling of produce and food items, customers are asked to refrain from touching all vendor products. Market items are either pre-packaged or the vendor will select and bag the food items.
These protocols are new to all of us – customers, vendors, and volunteers – so we will need everyone’s help to implement them successfully. Some protocols will likely be modified as we gain experience with them.
UPDATED September 27, 2020
Please check back regularly for new information and updates.