The Legacy of Chef Greg Hardesty
I know many BRFM customers join me and the rest of the Indiana culinary community in mourning the loss of Greg Hardesty. We are all beneficiaries to his legacy of innovative local cuisine created by his own hands, and by those of the many chefs in our community that he trained. Greg was a huge fan of Ross Faris (Your Neighbor’s Garden) and together with Ross worked tirelessly to promote the use of produce from local farmers by chefs in Indianapolis restaurants. Greg teamed up with Ross as lead chef for our first Dinners in the Garden and after Ross passed away in 2012, he hosted the first Ross Faris Award Dinner and presentation at Recess. In 2014, Greg was the third well-deserved winner of our Ross Faris Award created to honor individuals in our community who have made significant contributions to our local, sustainable farming and culinary community. Learn more about Greg’s impact in an article from the front page of Thursday’s Indianapolis Star.
Expect to see…
- Tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, fennel, carrots, radishes, eggplant, chard, collards, potatoes, peas, beans, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, and more.
- Sugar Bar is back for their last appearance this year with beautifully decorated creatively shaped sugar cookies, dunkers, krispie treats, and more.
- Funnel Cakes anyone? Look for them at Simple Taste gluten-free foods this Saturday.
- Apricot Sun will join our lineup this week as they will be out next week on 7/3.
- We’ll see a limited amount of peaches (the first of the season) from Pete’s Peaches.
- Last week for pickled garlic scapes from Home Ec.
- Macro bowls full of veggies are a great way to eat quick and healthy. Recipe here.
- Our good friend Mario Joven plays classical & jazz guitar, mandolin & banjo, and does rock blues, bluegrass, folk, and Irish tunes. Our musical guests work for free, so if you like what you hear, please leave a tip and/or purchase a CD.
- Note that we are moving the trash/recycle containers to the center of the Market.
Week #4 Vendors
It’s the 4th Saturday in June! See our Summer Market Vendor List for info on which vendors are scheduled on which Saturdays throughout the summer.