It’s not surprising that often our market vendors can be found at the Indiana State Fair with amazing food offerings.
The American Dairy Association invited Tulip Tree and their Milkweed cheese to feature in a special pesto grilled cheese sandwich made by chefs from Ivy Tech’s Courses Restaurant at the State Fair this year. This is an easy and super delicious sandwich you can whip up at home and you don’t have to be a chef-in-training to do it.
Pick up all the fixings at the Farmers Market—
- 2 slices of your favorite market bakery’s artisan bread
- 1&1/2 Tbs. softened butter, divided (Tulip Tree has cultured butter too)
- 2 Tbs. pesto, maybe Farm to Product’s cilantro pesto
- 1-2 slices of Tulip Tree Creamery’s Milkweed cheese
- Spread 1 Tbs. pesto on one side of each piece of bread. Lay the Milkweed in between, close the sandwich and press firmly on the top.
- In a medium skillet, heat almost 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-low heat until just melted. Place your sandwich in the skillet and spread remaining butter over the top of the sandwich.
- Cook on each side for about 5-6 minutes on a low heat, flipping once, until each side is a nice crispy golden brown.
- Serve and prepare to be wowed!
One of this year’s Tastes of the Fair is Bison Steak Fajitas. The Red Frazier fair offering contains marinated bison steak with grilled onions and peppers, served on warm flour tortillas with corn and black bean salsa, lettuce, cheese, tomato salsa and sour cream. Now doesn’t that sound worth a trip to the fair to taste?
Visit the Indiana State Fair (running thru Aug. 22) and check out these and many other tasty food treats, fun activities, educational demonstrations, and entertaining events. And keep an eye out for other BRFM vendors around the fairgrounds.