Squash is summer’s classic bumper crop vegetable. Not only is it plentiful, it’s also highly nutritious, versatile, and cheap. At this time of year, you’ll find a variety of summer squash, including green and yellow zucchini and yellow crookneck, straight-neck, and patty-pan. Prepared with the edible skin on, summer squash cooks quickly whether you steam, bake, grill, or sauté it. You can also use summer squash in soups, salads, and stews. (Excerpted from the South Beach Diet newsletter)
Simple Grilled Zucchini and Yellow Squash
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 yellow squashes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Heat grill to medium. Slice zucchini and squash 1/2 inch thick diagonally.
- In a large bowl, toss vegetables with oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables until tender, 6 to 8 minutes per side.
- Return vegetables to bowl; toss with basil.
Here are some more delicious ways to prepare bountiful summer squash: