Spice up your next cookout with a burger that’s way out of the ordinary. These tasty burgers include a tangy chile sauce that Mauricio Barboza, a chef from Santa Fe, came up with. They’ll knock your socks off!
Green Chile Cheeseburgers
adapted from a recipe by Penny De Los Santos for Serious Eats
- 2 lb. ground chuck or other ground chuck
- 1 tbsp., plus 1½ tsp. chile powder
- 1½ tsp. ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 4 cloves roasted garlic, mashed to a paste
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 6 roasted hot chiles (like poblanos), peeled, stemmed, seeded, and roughly chopped
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 brioche buns, split and toasted
- In a bowl, combine meat, 1 tbsp. chile powder, cumin, and salt and pepper; form into four 8-oz. patties and chill. Whisk remaining chile powder, mayonnaise, ketchup, garlic, and salt and pepper in a small bowl; refrigerate sauce until needed.
- Heat oil in a 12″ cast-iron skillet over medium heat; working in 2 batches, cook patties, turning once, until a thick crust develops on both sides, about 10 minutes for medium-rare. Top each with ¼ of roasted chiles and 1 slice of each cheese; cover with lid to melt cheese. To serve, place 1 patty on each bottom bun and spread top buns with some of the sauce. Cover burgers with top bun and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Get ground chuck from Royer, ground pork from Phelps, or light ground turkey from Schacht. Or mix it up even further by substituting bison from Red Frazier or elk from Apple Works. Several bakeries at the Market have brioche or other great burger buns like the pretzel buns from Brotgarten. Check out Ludwig and Tulip Tree for a couple of special cheeses to complement your burger in place of the cheddar and Swiss. Hidden Pond has homemade tomato ketchup.
Experiment with different types of peppers. Hot peppers can run the gamut from barely spicy to pants on fire! Whatever the recipe says, use what works for you and experiment to find out just what that is!
Can’t get enough? Here’s some more heat for you!