What could be more perfect than a plum? Jewel tones, translucent flesh, sweet or tart; they are a little mysterious and absolutely delicious! They make a wonderful dessert, a great complement to other foods and pair beautifully with some of our favorite things.
Here is an amazing idea from local chef Jonathan Brooks at Indy restaurant Milktooth. The full recipe ran in this month’s issue of Bon Appetit, but we think you can take the idea and run with it at the Market. Get your plums from Wild’s Apple Farm, Annabelle’s Garden, or Compean & Sons.
Pearl Sugar Waffles with Bacon and Plums
from Milktooth Restaurant
- 1 cup pure maple syrup (from Maplewood Farm)
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs (from Chocolate for the Spirit)
- pearl sugar waffles (from Walking Waffle – pkg. of 6)
- 8 slices bacon, cooked (from Royer or Phelps)
- 2 plums, sliced into thin wedges
- Ricotta and chopped almonds (for serving)
- Bring syrup and cacao nibs to a simmer over low heat in a small saucepan and cook 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Warm your waffles. Serve topped with bacon, plums, ricotta, and almonds and drizzled with cacao-nib syrup. 4 servings.
If you want to make your own waffles from scratch, see the full recipe here. You can get what your need for the following recipes at the Market too!
(Look for apples at Compean & Sons, Apple Works, Lee’s Orchard, Nujac Garden, or Wild’s Apple Farm.)
(Hot peppers and cucumbers are available from many vendors, and garlic from Bloomer’s or Norman Mullet.)
(Get honey from Wildflower Ridge, and lavender from Harvestland Farm.)
(Cookies from multiple vendors like Amelia’s, Circle City, or 4 Birds, and ice cream from Lick.)
And try enjoying plums “au natural” — with these pairing suggestions from Country Living:
- Cheeses, particularly those with buttery, rich flavor, complement plums in much the same way as cream is lovely with berries. Ask at Ludwig Farmstead Creamery or Tulip Tree Creamery for the best type of cheese to go with your plums.
- Dark chocolate is a lovely companion. Check with Chocolate for the Spirit for a fine dark bar or truffle to go well with sweet or tart plums.