Life is sweeter with a bit of honey and so is what we put on our plates! A little of nature’s first sweetener makes everything better, from a sensational breakfast sandwich to a tasty dessert tart! And it’s an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal all-natural energy boost as well! Let’s start with an all-purpose sauce that works on any kind of grilled meat!
Home-Run Honey Sauce
from the National Honey Board
- 1 cup – water
- 4 teaspoons – cornstarch
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon – minced garlic
- 6 Tablespoons green onion, thinly sliced
- 6 teaspoons – fresh jalapeno peppers, chopped and seeded
- 2/3 cup – honey
- 4 Tablespoons – seedless red raspberry preserves
- 1/2 cup – ketchup
- 3 Tablespoons – hot sauce
- In small bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Lightly spray the bottom of a medium saucepan with non-stick spray. Over medium heat, sauté garlic, green onion and chopped jalapeño in the saucepan for 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Add honey, raspberry preserves, ketchup and hot sauce to pan and stir well to incorporate. Cook over medium heat for 1 to 3 minutes to infuse all flavors.
- Whisk in water/cornstarch mixture and continue to cook over medium heat just until sauce thickens from cornstarch, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow sauce to cool slightly. Brush sauce onto one side of meat during the final 1 to 2 minutes of grilling. (Sauce will burn if left over heat too long.)
- Remove finished meat from grill and place onto serving platter. If desired, garnish top of meat with additional sliced green onion.
I’m thinking this great sauce would even work on grilled portobellos, onions, sliced squash, eggplant, or even lettuce! For steamed or roasted veges, you’ll want to take a look at the vegetable sauce below! For a great snack or appetizer, simply drizzle honey over a nice aged cheese!