Potato salad is a summer picnic/cookout staple. Add the crunch of green beans and make it with a tangy mustard vinaigrette instead of mayo, and you have a guaranteed winner!
Potato and Green Bean Salad
recipe from Martha Stewart Living
- 6 ounces green beans
- 2 pounds peeled small potatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice (or vinegar)
- 4 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Coarse salt
- Simmer green beans in salted water until barely tender and bright green, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon or wire-mesh skimmer, and transfer to a bowl of ice water. Drain, and pat dry.
- Add potatoes to the same pot of salted water, and simmer until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes, and halve them.
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, and thyme in a large bowl. Add potatoes, beans, and red onion. Gently toss. Season with salt.
This has become my go-to potato salad recipe. I sometimes use vinegar instead of the lemon juice and tarragon instead of the thyme. I even substitute dijon or other mustard for the whole grain style when I’m in the mood. And I often add some chopped cooked egg as well.