This time of the year, basil is abundant. It’s a good thing too, since it’s delicious in all kinds of summer dishes. It’s just the hit of fresh herby flavor you need!
Here are half a dozen easy ways to use bunches of fresh basil:
- Caprese Bites: The perfect no-fuss summer snack/appetizer for porch, picnic, or poolside.
- Compound Butter: Put it on everything from pasta and bread to veggies and grilled meats.
- Cocktails & Mocktails: Adding basil makes ordinary drinks taste like summer in a glass.
- Marinade: Use it with any kind of meat for great grilling flavor.
- Classic Pesto: This classic makes for the easiest pasta supper ever, but it’s also good on everything else.
- Vinaigrette: Dip bread in it, drizzle it on meats & veggies, brush it on fish, or dress a salad.
from Gimme Some Oven
- 2 cups tightly-packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- (optional) 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor, and puree until smooth. If the vinaigrette is too thick, feel free to add in a few tablespoons of water a time and blend until the mixture reaches your desired consistency.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
With these easy basil recipes, you’ll have fresh summer food at your fingertips all summer long.