With all kinds of snap beans at the Market, and more varieties of potatoes showing up each week, it’s the perfect time to add this delicious salad to your backyard cookout and picnic menu.
Potato and Snap Bean Salad
recipe adapted from Martha Stewart Living
- 6 ounces snap beans (green, yellow, purple, French filet, cranberry, and/or Romano)
- 2 pounds peeled small potatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Coarse salt
- Simmer beans in salted water until barely tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon or wire-mesh skimmer, and transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking. When cool, drain and pat dry.
- Add potatoes to the same pot of salted water, and simmer until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes, and halve them.
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, and thyme in a large bowl. Add potatoes, beans, and red onion. Gently toss. Season with salt.
This potato salad variation is great for picnics and cookouts. It’s also incredibly tasty with the lovely mustard vinaigrette; and if you use a mix of different snap bean varieties, it’s really visually interesting too!
Don’t forget to see our recipe archive for more incredible bean recipes.