Full of vegetables and loaded with yummy cheese, this chowder will cheer you up on any gray winter day. And it’s good for you too!
Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup
recipe from Cooking Classy
- 5 ½ tablespoons butter
- 1 1/3 cups chopped carrots (about 3)
- 1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 ½ cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups chopped broccoli florets (2 heads)
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded, sharp white cheddar (or Tulip Tree‘s Dutch Tulip gouda-style cheese)
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan
- Sauté carrots, celery, & onion in melted butter until soft. Add garlic, sauté a few more seconds.
- Stir in chicken broth, potatoes and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover with a lid and cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir in broccoli and cook until all the vegetables are tender.
- While veggies are cooking, melt butter in separate saucepan and stir in flour. Cook, whisking constantly, then pour in the milk. Continue cooking and whisking the milk mixture until it thickens. Stir in the heavy cream and then remove from the heat. Pour the milk mixture into the soup and stir.
- Remove soup from the heat and stir in the cheeses until melted.
This is another one of those recipes that begs to be tweaked. You could add chopped greens or other veggies. You could also add chicken, salmon, or smoked sausage and/or top with bacon bits!