This month we’re celebrating National Honey Month with recipes each week that feature wonderful local honey. Here are two easy ones for an appetizer and a salad to get your feast off to a sweet start.
Grilled Nectarine and Blue Cheese Bruschetta with Honey
recipe by Adam Hickman for Cooking Light
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons honey, divided
- 2 medium nectarines or peaches, quartered
- Vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 ounces whole-wheat baguette, cut diagonally into 12 slices
- 1 1/4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze
- Microgreens or sprouts (optional)
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine 1 teaspoon water and 1 teaspoon honey in a small bowl. Rub mixture over cut sides of nectarines.
- Arrange friut on grill grates coated with vegetable oil; grill, uncovered, 2 minutes on each side. Remove from grill; cut each piece into 4 wedges.
- Coat bread with cooking spray. Arrange on grill grates; grill 1 minute on 1 side or until lightly browned. Remove from grill. Reduce grill heat to medium.
- Divide fruit evenly over toasted sides of bread. Top evenly with cheese. Arrange on grill grates; grill, covered, 1 1/2 minutes or until cheese softens and bread is toasted on bottom. Arrange toasts on a platter; drizzle with remaining 5 teaspoons honey. Drizzle with balsamic glaze. Garnish with microgreens or sprouts, if desired. Serve immediately. Makes 12 bruschetta.
Bee-utiful Summer Salad with Honey
adapted from a recipe by Adam Hickman for Cooking Light
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces cubed watermelon
- 12 ounces cubed cantaloupe
- 1 small English cucumber, cut lengthwise into thin ribbons (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons torn mint leaves
Place first 7 ingredients in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add melons, cucumber, and onion; toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Sprinkle with mint. Makes 6 servings.