When the weather starts to turn chilly, we want food that comforts. Cabbage is a great vegetable to add to comforting stews and soups. It’s super healthy, and good for your digestion.
Braised Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage
recipe from Christina Cherrier for Eating Well
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 smoked sausages into 1-inch sections
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 head cabbage, cored and sliced or shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- In a large pot, add the oil and cook the sausage over medium heat, until browned and stirring regularly. Add the onion and the bay leaves and season with fresh cracked pepper.
- Add carrot, and cook for 10 minutes over medium, stirring from time to time. Make sure nothing burns, otherwise it will taste bitter. Add garlic and celery and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, stirring to mix. Add water and bouillon cube and cover. Braise until the cabbage has wilted, stirring occasionally, about 20-25 minutes. Then remove the bay leaves and serve immediately in individual bowl, sprinkled with additional cracked pepper.
Cook’s Note: The recipe originally called for Savoy cabbage, but any cabbage will work nicely. Serve this up with a hunk of warm crusty bread slathered with creamy butter and that’s all the comfort you’ll need for a chilly autumn evening.