These are two of my favorite sandwiches for hot summer days, and they couldn’t be more different. They’re both easy to make, but one is loaded with veggies and super nutritious while the other is just simple and delicious as well as quintessentially Hoosier.
Super Healthy Veggie Sandwich
- 2 slices whole-grain bread
- 3 tablespoons favorite hummus
- ¼ avocado, mashed or
- 3 tablespoons guacamole
- ½ cup mixed salad greens
- ¼ medium bell pepper, sliced
- ¼ cup sliced cucumber
- ¼ cup shredded carrot
- Slices of red onion to taste (optional)
- Microgreens for garnish (optional)
Spread one slice of bread with your favorite hummus and the other with avocado or guacamole. Fill the sandwich with greens, bell pepper, cucumber, carrot, and onion, plus microgreens if using. Slice in half and serve with a serving of fruit for a complete nutritious lunch or light supper.
Tips: To make ahead: Refrigerate sandwich for up to 4 hours.
My Mama’s Tomato Sandwich
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- Thick slice(s) of fresh vine-ripened tomato to cover bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Salt, fresh ground pepper, and garlic powder to taste
Spread both slices of bread with mayo. Cover one slice of bread with tomato slices (I like to peel the tomato before slicing) and sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add the second slice of bread, and enjoy! I always have mine with a big glass of milk.