Author: Jinny Sauer Bastianelli
The big game is this Sunday, and for Super Bowl (or any special game day), snacks are key. We thought we’d highlight Red Frazier Bison’s healthy bison lettuce wraps (from the Taste of the State Fair this past August), but there are plenty of great game day eats to be had at the Market.
Look for dips and spreads, veggies, cheeses, summer sausage, cheese balls, pickles, popcorn, bread for sandwiches, shrimp, chili fixings, salamis, hot sauce, sauerkraut, and don’t forget the ice cream! You could even get yourself some plain cheese pizzas and jazz them up with all kinds of tasty things from our vendors like Nduja, bacon, sausage, onions, mushrooms, and more.
Now for the main event…
Bison Lettuce Wraps
recipe from Red Frazier Bison for 2022 Taste of the Fair
- ground bison
- 1 small yellow onion – minced
- 8-12 oz can water chestnuts, drained, minced
- 2 tbsp. minced ginger
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 whole carrot – grated
- 2 heads Boston Butter lettuce*
- Soy sauce
- Hoisin sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Garlic chili paste
- Green onions
- Sesame Seeds
- Asian Vinaigrette dressing
- Cook down ground bison with soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine yellow onion, water chestnuts, carrot, ginger and garlic. Process until finely chopped – you don’t want mushy vegetables but they should be small enough to be sautéed quickly and still have some shape.
- Sauté vegetable blend in a large saucepan for a few minutes with approximately 3 tbsp. Hoison sauce and a couple splashes of rice vinegar. After 3-4 minutes on high heat stir in ground bison and a 1 tbsp. of garlic chili paste. Set aside.
- Wash lettuce and remove ends. Keep lettuce in whole leaf form.
- Place lettuce on plate.
- Put wrap mixture in a bowl and garnish with diced green onion, sesame seeds, and Asian Sesame Vinaigrette dressing. Place bowl on plate with lettuce and a spoon.
*You could use another type of lettuce as long as it is soft enough to easily wrap the filling; or firmer and shaped to make a small cup for the filling. For that matter, you could even put the filling in something else like a wonton wrapper or pita pocket or serve it with rice.