Here we are in mid-July with the Market full of beautiful juicy blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. The weather is hot and humid, and we long for something cool and refreshing. I don’t know of anything more pleasing to both the eye and the palate than a summer trifle. Layers of light cake and creamy whipped goodness are punctuated with colorful and flavorful bursts of summer berries. Whip this up in a heartbeat; then sit back, relax and enjoy!
Angel Berry Trifle
from Taste of Home
- 1-1/2 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free vanilla yogurt
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 carton reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed,
- 1 prepared angel food cake cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pint each blackberries, raspberries, blueberries
In a small bowl, whisk the milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. In a large bowl, beat the yogurt, cream cheese, sour cream and vanilla until smooth. Fold in pudding mixture and 1 cup whipped topping. Place a third of the cake cubes in a 4-qt. trifle bowl. Top with a third of the pudding mixture, a third of the berries and half of the remaining whipped topping. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining cake, pudding and berries. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Once you have made a trifle, you will appreciate their ease and versatility. You can use different kinds of fruit and cake and try different flavors in the creamy layers. All you need is a deep glass bowl to show off the layers and then, get creative! In the winter, I do a trifle with chocolate cake and pudding and sour cherries for the holidays.
Here are more cool and refreshing berry recipes for these sultry summer days.