My holiday dinners always include carrots. They look beautiful on the table and their sweet flavor pleases almost everyone, including the children. This recipe is classic, with sweet honey and tangy mustard for plenty of flavor.
Roasted Carrots with Honey-Mustard Glaze
recipe from Flavour & Savour
- 12-15 medium carrots, (rainbow carrots look festive)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoons mustard
- 1 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Scrub the carrots. Cut larger ones in half lengthwise so that carrots are of uniform sizes and place them in a large bowl.
- In a separate container, whisk olive oil, minced garlic, rosemary, mustard, honey, salt and pepper. Combine thoroughly and pour over carrots, coating evenly, making sure they are all well-coated.
- Arrange in a single layer in a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Avoid having them touch each other. Use two baking sheets if necessary.
- Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally until tender and just beginning to brown.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve. Makes 6 servings.
Tips for roasting vegetables:
Use a baking sheet with no edges (or very shallow sides). I use a cookie sheet. You want the natural sugars in the vegetables to caramelize so they develop those nice browned, crispy surfaces. If the pan has sides, the heat tends to be trapped inside and the vegetables cook by steaming instead of roasting. For the same reason, make sure the vegetables aren’t touching each other.
- Mix the glaze ingredients together the day before.
- Scrub the carrots the day before and store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator. Just before you’re ready to roast them, toss with the glaze, arrange on baking sheet(s) and put them in the oven.
- Chop some parsley for garnish while they’re roasting.
Don’t forget to check our recipe archive for more great carrot recipes and other recipes for the holidays