Cantaloupes and watermelons are the perfect salad ingredients in August. They’re lo-calorie, super refreshing, and delicately sweet. They’re the perfect compliment to grilled meats and backyard barbecues. They also make great picnic food. Try this duo of deliciousness for your next outdoor menu.
Cantaloupe with Spicy Bacon-Cashew Crumble
- 6 slices bacon, cut cross-wise ¼” thick
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red Thai or Fresno chile, finely chopped
- ½ cup roasted unsalted cashews, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 2lb. cantaloupe, cut into 1” cubes
- Cook bacon in a dry medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet.
- Cook garlic and chile in same skillet over medium heat, stirring until garlic is softened but has not taken on any color, about 1 minute. Add cashews; cook, stirring constantly, until heated through about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in bacon, brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Taste crumble and season with more salt if needed. Crumble should be equal parts spicy and sweet.
- Arrange cantaloupe on a platter and top with warm crumble. Makes 4-6 servings.
Watermelon and Tomato Salad
Recipe from Costco Connection (Windset Farms)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 head butter lettuce, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1-2 lb. watermelon, peeled and cut into chunks
- 8 tomatoes, quartered
- 8 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 8 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbled
- Prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and cider vinegar.
- In serving bowls, arrange lettuce, watermelon and tomatoes. Sprinkle with chopped mint and basil. Drizzle with the dressing.
- Season with salt and finish with crumbled feta and garnish with mint and basil.
- Serve and enjoy. Makes 4 servings.