These fabulous foil packets are the perfect way to cook up individual pre-proportioned meals in your backyard or on your weekend camping trip. Pick up everything but the foil at the Market and don’t forget the smoked salt and pepper from Circle City Smoke for that great outdoorsy flavor. Happy Labor Day Weekend, and Happy Foil Packet Grilling!
Steak & Potato Grill Packets with Blue Cheese & Rosemary
- 1 pound sirloin steak, sliced into 1-inch-thick pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 5 cups halved baby red potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 5 cups halved and trimmed green beans (about 1 pound)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 large sprigs rosemary, snipped in half
- 6 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Cut six 14-inch lengths of heavy-duty foil. Coat 1 side of each piece of foil with cooking spray.
- Combine steak with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and half the garlic in a small bowl; stir to coat. Stir together potatoes, green beans, onion, the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the remaining garlic in a large bowl. Evenly divide the potato mixture among the foil sheets (place on the side coated with cooking spray), then top each with a portion of the steak and a sprig of rosemary. Gather together the long ends of each foil piece, then fold up its open sides to form a packet.
- Place the packets on the grill. Cook for 10 minutes, then flip and cook until the potatoes are tender and lightly charred, about 5 minutes more. Open each packet (be careful of the steam) and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon blue cheese. Makes 6 servings.
Chicken & Sweet Potato Grill Packets with Peppers & Onions
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 2 large), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 5 cups diced red bell peppers (about 2 small)
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Cut six 12-inch lengths of heavy-duty foil. Coat each piece with cooking spray.
- Combine chicken, sweet potatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, salt, chili powder, cumin and oregano in large bowl; stir to coat thoroughly. Evenly divide the chicken mixture among the foil sheets (place on the side coated with cooking spray). Gather together the long ends of each foil piece, then fold up its open ends to form a packet.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender and lightly charred, turning halfway through, about 20 minutes total. Serve right away (be careful of steam when opening the packets), with lime wedges. Makes 6 servings.
Grilled Shrimp Boil Foil Packets
- 1 pound baby red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ears corn, husked and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 lb. unpeeled raw shrimp (16-20 per pound)
- 2 ounces andouille or other favorite sausage, cut into 8 slices
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Sliced scallion for garnish
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Cut four 12-inch lengths of heavy-duty foil.
- Divide potatoes, corn, shrimp, sausage and garlic among the foil pieces. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with Old Bay. Gently toss to coat. Top each with a lemon wedge. Gather the long edges of the foil and crimp, then fold up the ends to make packets.
- Grill the packets until the potatoes are tender and the shrimp are pink, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with melted butter and garnish with scallion, if desired. Makes 4 servings.