Apples are arguably one of the healthiest things you can consume. Think the exact opposite and you might come up with say, cheesecake? What if you broke all the rules and put cheesecake inside an apple and baked it with a decadent crumbly topping and a drizzle of caramel sauce. OMG! – how ’bout them apples?
Cheesecake-Stuffed Baked Apples
- 1 pound full-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 8 large apples
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Caramel sauce, for serving
- Place 1 pound of cream cheese and crack 2 large eggs in a large bowl and let sit at room temperature until the cream cheese is softened, about 1 hour. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut 1/4 inch off the top of 8 apples. Use a melon baller to hollow out the inside of the apples, leaving 1/2 inch of flesh around the bottom and edges.
- Melt 4 tablespoons unsalted butter in a small bowl. Transfer 2 tablespoons to another bowl, add 1/4 teaspoon of the ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon of the ground nutmeg, and stir to combine. Generously brush the inside flesh of each apple with this mixture. Transfer the apples to the baking sheet.
- Add 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs to the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and stir until combined. Sprinkle a heaping teaspoon of mixture into each apple. Set aside the remaining mixture.
- Add 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, remaining 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and remaining 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg to the cream cheese and eggs and beat together until smooth. Carefully spoon the filling into each apple until filled to 1/2-inch from the top.
- Bake until the apples are softened and the filling is golden brown on top, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely before serving. When ready to serve top, sprinkle with the remaining graham cracker mixture and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
For more amazing and awesome APPLE RECIPES, check out our recipe archive.