Artisano’s Oils & Spices is out this week but will be back on the 19th with their pepper roaster. So, if you bought some before or plan to get some later, be sure to make this crave-worthy casserole. It would be a great game-day go-to with a pot of chili; or even a super-satisfying side with a southwestern themed Thanksgiving menu.
Chile Relleno Casserole
- 6 roasted chile peppers (all one type or a mix)
- 6 ounces shredded cheese of choice (jack, cheddar, cojita)
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper optional
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Peel the blackened skin off the peppers, then remove the seeds and chop.
- Use a 9 x 6-inch casserole dish for a thick casserole you can cut into squares. Use an 11 x 7-inch baking dish for a thinner casserole better for tortilla chips.
- Spray the baking dish with nonstick spray. Then spread the chili peppers in a single layer and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Combine the eggs, milk, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Mix well making sure there are no lumps.
- Pour the mixture over the chile peppers and cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes until it is light golden brown on top.
- Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, jalapenos, avocado, green onions, or other toppings.
If you’re as intrigued as I am by the idea of a southwestern themed Thanksgiving, think flavors like pumpkin, oregano, beans, chorizo, corn, guacamole, cilantro, tomato, etc. Get creative and let us know what you come up with!