With the luck o’ the Irish, I stumbled upon this low-carb treasure of a recipe for St. Patrick’s Day. Forget the corned beef and opt instead for your favorite sausages simmered in Irish beer and wrapped in cabbage leaves (with sauerkraut)!
Cabbage Wrap Brats
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 bratwurst or sausages of choice
- 12 ounces Beer
- 8 large cabbage leaves
- Dijon mustard for serving
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat Olive oil. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until slightly tender, 4 minutes. Push onions to edge of skillet and dad brats /sausages to the center of the skillet. Prick each gently with a fork to release fat. Dear brats\sausages until golden, 2 minutes per side. Add beer and simmer until all liquid has evaporated, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blanch cabbage: In a large pot of boiling water, use tongs to dip cabbage leaves for 30 seconds. Place on a paper towel-lined plate to dry. When cool enough to handle, cut a “v” at the base of the leaf to remove the toughest part of the stem.
- Build wraps: Overlap 2 cabbage leaves, with cut sides in, to create a large oval. Spread mustard in the center of the leaves, then too with caramelized onions, sauerkraut, and brat\sausage. Good the short ends of the cabbage leaves in, then tightly roll from one long end to the other.
Check out more St. Patrick’s Day recipes from our archives.