Radishes are available when the weather is a little cooler (not so much in the heat of summer), so they are a Spring staple when most other produce is not ready to harvest or even in the ground yet. Roasting radishes makes for a lovely mellow way to enjoy them in addition to the piquant spiciness of raw radishes.
recipe by Ali Slagle at New York Times Cooking
- 1 bunch large radishes, tails removed, greens trimmed and reserved (if available), and bulbs halved stem to tail
- 1-1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Honey (optional)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. If your radishes have fresh-looking greens, wash and dry them well. On a sheet pan, toss the radishes and greens with the oil (1 ½ tablespoons if using greens; 1 tablespoon if not). Season with salt and pepper. Arrange the radishes cut side down. (It’s OK if the greens are crowded.)
- Roast until the radishes are crisp-tender and translucent, the cut sides are golden in spots and the greens are crisp, 15-20 minutes. Drizzle with honey, if desired. Makes 4 servings. Serve as a side dish with grilled fish or folded into a grain or added to a green salad.
Cook’s Notes: When roasted, radishes are no longer snappy and spicy, but rather juicy, meaty, and sweet. You’re in luck if they come with their greens attached, because they roast into delicate chips that provide great textural contrast. A Drizzle of honey accentuates their sweetness; though they could also be finished with something bright like a soft herb or some lemon juice, spicy like grated garlic or red pepper flakes, or savory like miso butter.
Don’t forget to check our recipe archive for more remarkable radish recipes.
- Radical Radish Recipe – (Radish Slaw for Tacos)
- Rockin’ Radishes – (Radish Toasts, Radish & Blue Cheese Salad, Radish Salsa)
- Rock Star Radishes – (Fried Egg on Toast with Salted Herb Butter and Radishes)
- Romancing the Radish – (Pesto, Radish and Sea Salt Crostini)
- Revisiting Radishes – (Roasted Potato and Radish Salad)
- Radiant Radishes – (Croation Radish Salad)